Let's start with "why Kettlebells?"
What if I were to tell you that you could burn an extra 1,000 calories a day doing one exercise for less than 60 minutes? Yes, you read that right. You could burn an extra 1000 calories just by doing 600 kettlebell swings. That's at least 10-20 swings per minute, which, depending on how many you do would affect the duration of time. The kettlebell swing, works the entire body with just this one exercise. Let's not forget the power of the Dead Lift, the Clean, the Goblet Squat, the Press, the Snatch, the Windmill, and the Turkish Get Up, which each have their own unique purpose and slew of amazing health and fitness benefits.
The kettlebell is one of the most versatile, powerful and affordable pieces of gym equipment you could ever invest in. Plus you can just about take it anywhere! It builds muscle, burns body fat, builds strength, power, endurance and flexibility, all in one work out. Talk about cross training! The kettlebell is an incredible way to rehabilitate, the hips, the spine, the shoulders, the neck, and really the entire body when used with proper technique.
The Importance of Proper Technique and Proper instruction
Because Kettlebells are powerful and versatile, they can also be one of the most dangerous pieces of gym equipment when not used with proper technique and form. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people using kettlebells in an incorrect and potentially harmful way. My favorite response is, "I taught myself with youtube." People, this is a serious disservice. You don't know what you don't know, and you can't train yourself to stop doing movements you aren't aware that you are doing.
As Dr. Cobb described in a previous video I posted, the way the brain works, is it will keep dormant certain parts that it's not using. Over time those parts will become more dormant and the parts that are firing will start to take over. So, what this looks like, is over time your body will do what you repeat over and over again.
Lets say you don't know how to pack your shoulders during a swing. Or maybe you use your shoulders and neck to take the stress in the swing instead of the hinge from the hips. Over time that stress can ware on the joint and leave you vulnerable for injury. Another example is if you don't lock out at the top of your swing, but instead you lean back. You add repetitive stress to the low back and sacral area, which could easily injure your low back or hips. You could also swing too low and not hinge properly, which puts all the stress through your thoracic spine, creating a great opportunity for you to pinch a nerve or herniate a disc. These scenarios are only covering kettlebell swings. Proper technique is just as important in all exercises.
I had a friend who was an RKC through Dragon Door that explained to me the importance of this and I am proud to say that I got my HKC (Hardstyle Kettlebell Certificate) through Dragon Door back in 2012. In the ten years I have been a Personal Trainer, this was one of the most informative and inspiring certifications I have ever received.
||"As the company that launched the modern kettlebell revolution in 2001, Dragon Door has developed the world’s single most effective system for rapid weight loss and immense gains in strength and power." -Dragon Door
This course was all about neural cues, using the brain and the body together to correct movement in the body, and to maximize support of the structure while going through different movements.
Studying for this course I had the opportunity to work with Z-health and Kettlebell Trainer Scott Stransky who further educated and trained me on how to use my body and my nervous system together to eliminate pain and completely rewrite movement and power in my body. I more than doubled my strength in a matter of 6 weeks, not to mention got rid of old injuries and changed my physique. This inspired me to dig further into my kettlebell practice and studies on brain based training methods.
Here's why you want me as your Personal Trainer
When you invest in me as a Personal Trainer, the truth is you are investing in yourself. Not only do you change your physique or maybe get to a certain fitness goal you had in mind for yourself, it's so much more than that. Here is a list of the benefits of hiring me as your Personal Trainer:
- I have ten years of education and experience - I have helped hundreds of different clients reach their health and fitness goals!
- I integrate neural cues and movement - I help clients train smarter, get rid of pain, increase strength, increase flexibility, and prevent injuries.
- You will save money - You will literally save money on future health costs by focusing on making your body healthy, happy, and strong now!
- You get more energy - You will notice you feel better through out the day and you can do more than you used to!
- You get more self confidence - At the work space, in public, in the bedroom... feeling good in your body pours into all areas of your life!
- Serious stress relief - Your training sessions are your time, carved out for you, all about you, and you exert a huge amount of energy, leaving you sweaty and feeling better.
- Safe and effective exercise routines that vary - You have a one on one personal instructor literally watching your every move to make sure you are maintaining form even when you're exhausted, and helping you to get to the next level.
- A routine that's designed to get you to your goal - You don't have to know how to create this routine! That's the beauty of it! You show up, and I take the lead, while educating you on why you're doing what you're doing!
- Accountability - This is probably one of the biggest reasons people get Personal Trainers. I hear a lot of people say, I just don't make the time to exercise. It's different when you make a commitment to someone else.
- Motivation - Sessions are extremely empowering! And when you are ready to throw in the towel, I am there to push you, just a little more.
- Education and instruction - In my opinion this is paramount! I love working with my clients for years and years, but I want them to know that when they are on their own, they know how to do things safely for themselves.
- Elimination of pain and stiffness - That is of course regarding general aches and pains:) Some side effects of having an awesome work out, is the pain and stiffness you come to enjoy;)
- Strength! making movement effortless - I love it when clients do something without even thinking and realizing that they weren't able to do that before!
- Food education - Also something I find Paramount! The health and fitness industry has so many mixed messages on nutrition out there that it's terribly confusing. It's important that people know how to eat for their bodies without developing a serious eating disorder!
If you are serious about changing your health for the better, call me, private message me or send me an email and we can set up a free consultation. You can count on my knowledge, experience, and expertise to help you get to your health and fitness goals in the most safe and effective ways. I tailor all my programs according to my individual client's needs.
Here's to a Happy and Healthy New Year!